08 May 2008

Last Day in Rome

Well the day has finally come, it's my last day in Rome.

My bags are packed. I'm on my way out for my last trip around Rome.It's so weird I've been ready to go home for a few weeks but now that the day has actually come, I'm sad to leave. I mean there is a lot I miss about the States, I miss my family, my friends, my cell phone, tacos, being able to talk to people/order food without confusion, Starbucks, Wawa, etc. But it feels leaving, I feel like I just got here and I'm going to miss Rome a lot. I really love this city. It was everything I wanted it to be, and though there are a few things I wasn't the biggest fan of there are a lot things that I loved about this city, and hopefully one day I'll be back. I'm going to miss being able to walk to the Coliseum, the Pantheon, and the Vatican. I'm going to miss the gelato, the palm trees, the fashion, and the people.

This morning I went to the breakfast caffé, and we took a picture with the owner and then he said Ciao Bella, and kissed me on both cheeks. I felt all Italian and I'm going to miss things like that!
I made new friends while I was over here, and I'm going to miss spending everyday with them. Luckily we all go to La Salle so I can still hang out often, but it's going to be different.

I'm a little nervous about going home, I feel like a lot of things in the States have changed (apparently there is a new 5 dollar bill?), and I know I changed so what if I don't fit in. I mean I wasn't there for the inside jokes, and I wasn't there for the drama or events so there is going to be a lot that I just don't get.

Before I left for Rome, I wrote an article for my journalism class about Reverse Culture Shock, and how it takes people time to re-adjust to their home, but if other people can re-adjust, I can too and it will all work out.

Though I'm anxious/nervous to go back at the same time I'm anxious/excited. I really have missed my family and friends and it will be nice to be home again. It's been a great semester, I'm so glad that I did this!

Tomorrow morning at 4:45 am I will be leaving my apartment, heading to the airport and saying goodbye to the city I've lived in for 4 months.

Ciao Roma,
I'll be seeing you!

No comments: