Sunday I went on a walking tour of Rome with a group of people from AUR and though I found out how to get to the sites and information I didn't already know I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone off with a smaller group of people. I felt really rushed in the tour and it was too big to really get to appreciate what I was seeing. However I will be here for 4 months so I'm positive I'll be able to make it back into the city to spend a good amount of time at each site. We didn't get to go inside any of the sites or really spend time exploring them so I definitely need to go back. Also one of the places we stopped at in the beginning of the tour was the church I went to when I got lost a few days ago, and apparently it wasn't just some random beautiful church but one of the sites they think Saint Peter was crucified at. We also stopped at the first Catholic church in Rome, it was beautiful, the ceiling shone with all the gold used. There was even gold used in the paintings, my camera doesn't like taking pictures in the dark and so it wasn't a big fan of the church. We then ventured toward the Forum and the Coliseum. I really wish I would have had more time to look at things but I'll just have to go again, maybe this weekend. It's so amazing to walk down a street and see the Coliseum right in front of you. On our tour someone said it was kind of like being in an amusement park and she was right. You don't really think that you'd see these huge historic sights mingled in with the everyday Roman life, but it is. I can't imagine being able to pass the Coliseum everyday on my way to work and yet Italians do it everyday. Do you think it loses it's importance to them? To them the Coliseum is not just this huge artifact you've learned about for years but just a building they have to pass on their way to work. I guess over time you just get used to it being there and so the amazement feeling subsides.
Well I for one am extremely jealous that Italians get to see these sights on a regular basis. I wonder if they get annoyed at the amount of toursits in the city. I'd ask them but i still don't know enough Italian, and my first Italian class was cancelled... so now I have to wait until Wednesday to learn the basics of Italian.
For those of you interested in seeing my pictures I'm going to see if there is a way to post them on this site, or maybe post a link. But until I'm able to do so you can check them out on facebook or ask my mom, I've been showing her the pictures so I think she can make copies of them and save them onto her computer!
Ciao
Amanda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment