26 February 2008

Family Visit and Computer Meltdown

Sorry for the lack of update...I'm having a computer crisis. On Sunday it died and so I'm stuck using the computer lab until the computer guy here at AUR can fix it. He keeps giving me a time when it will be ready and when I go to pick it up he says "oh I need to do a little more than I thought I would so come back in an hour" or "come back tomorrow". I'm nervous that I'm going to lose all of my files and pictures; he seems to think everything will be fine but I'm not so sure. Hopefully I'll have my computer back soon.

Another reason why I haven't updated is because I was busy spending time with my family. It was so cool to have them in Rome but also extremely exhausting. Walking around the entire city everyday and running back to get to classes on time definitely took a toll on me. Every night I was wiped out but it was completely worth it because my family was here. It was really awesome to be able to share Rome with them. We had a good time and I got to see a lot of things that I hadn't seen yet, so it was a new experience for all of us. We went inside of the Coliseum which was amazing, and we went into the Sistine Chapel, which was breath-taking. I had no idea there was so much to see in the Vatican Museum but they had artifacts from all different civilizations around the Mediterranean. Every room was full of interesting paintings or statues and it was really an amazing museum. It took us about 3 hours to finally make it into the Sistine Chapel but it was worth it. I think I could have spent all day in there just looking at the different paintings but I'm pretty sure Charles would have killed us. He was way over the museum by the first hour.

On Friday, my mom went with me to get my haircut. it was an interesting experience. I had a picture of what I wanted and the guy spoke English really well but I was nervous when I saw the amount of hair coming off. I got about 7 or 8 inches off and so now my hair is to my chin. When he was cutting it all I could think was I didn't realize I had so much hair. It honestly just kept coming off; at one point I was convinced that I was going to be bald in the back. In the end the new hair cut was exactly what I wanted. It's different and I like it. It's taking a while to get used to, I still use to much shampoo and conditioner and when I go to brush my hair I'm shocked at how little I have to brush. Getting my hair cut in Rome was something I wanted to do ever since seeing the movie Roman holiday. It's such a cool risk to take because you're not sure how it's going to turn out and you are putting complete trust into a stranger but he did a good job and I have my Audrey Hepburn inspired short haircut!

The family and I had a good time in Rome, exploring and experiencing and though I took them the long way to different sight I think they enjoyed my little detours, or maybe not. Hopefully one day we'll make it back there. The only negative thing was how fast the week went. Before I knew it was Saturday morning and they were leaving. It was a little sad saying goodbye and realizing that I won't see them again for another 2 1/2 months.Ciao, Amanda

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm glad you had such a good time with the fam over there. I wish I had the time and money to go visit you too! What a good excuse to FINALLY get to Italy. *sigh*

hope the comp gets fixed soon.

Miss you always!